Tuesday 7 February 2012

DIY Tutorial: Fur Headband

So as you may have seen in my outfit post below I made a fur headband today. Fur headband's are becoming very popular lately and I had loads of faux fur fabric lying around so I thought I would just make myself one, and also show you lot how I did so that you can do the same!

You will need:
  • Material
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Sewing Machine
  • Thread
  • Needle

So you will need material and for this I have chosen leopard print faux fur, but you can use any material you like, it will still work just the same :)



1. You will need to measure around your head to decide how long your headband will be. Remember to add about 5 or 6 inches to your head measurement to leave plenty of room to sew the headband together. I am making my headband 30 inches long just to be on the safe side as I made my first headband too small!!



2. You then need to decide how tall you want your headband to stand. I am going to make my headband 4 inches wide.



3. You will need to cut two of these strips, or one in your material and one in a linning fabric, it's up to you. I have gone for using the same fabric.



4. You then need to lay one on top of the other, right sides facing each other (the fabric you want to be showing face down on top of another piece facing up). You only need to sew down the length of the fabric on both sides, do not sew the width of the fabric as you will need to turn your fabric in the right way.



5. And sew!



6. So this is what you should end up with after sewing. You will then need to turn your headband inside itself so that the right side is then showing.



7. And it should look like this.



8. Now you need to attach both ends to finish off your headband, so take one end and fold the rough edges into the tube.



9. And then put the other end into the end you are already holding so that it makes a full circle. Once you have done that you can sew it to close the circle. You can either use the sewing machine or hand stitch depending on how thick your material is.




And that's it! I hope I explained everything ok, if you do have any questions then don't hesitate to ask. And if you do give this a go then let me know how it goes, I may even start to sell some in a few weeks if anyone would be interested?

One more thing before I go, please take the time to check out my facebook page (link at top of page) for Silent Sweetheart. It is still very basic and doesn't have much going on right now but in the summer I will be selling the clothes I make, including shorts, skirts, playsuits, dresses etc so please check it out as I do have an album full of clothes I have made in the past. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this! Love how you can choose what kind of print you want to make it more unique x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so happy you posted this! I've been looking for a fur headband recently.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial. I love it! You have a great sense of fashion. I'm following you now :)
    http://thesmallnoble.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment, so thankyou for taking the time to look through my blog :)